5 Recipes You Can Make in an Air Fryer
Guest blog by Anna Wayne
Have you ever wished you could enjoy your favorite fried foods without the unhealthy calories and fat? Do you dream of having french fries, fried chicken, and other treats without feeling guilty or ruining your health?
There’s a new cooking gadget on the market: The air fryer. And it’s awesome. Anything that you usually would deep fry can be cooked in the air fryer. What’s more, it cooks everything from veggies, to fish, to popcorn.
Just so we’re clear… Air fryers are like super powerful convection ovens that circulate hot air around your food, crisping them and giving them a crunchy, “fried” texture and taste.
Air fryers come in a range of models and prices to suit different cooks. If you already have an air fryer, you can check out some of these great air fryer recipes we found.
1. Air Fried Peach Hand Pies
from Cooking Light
- 2 peaches, chopped and peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package of refrigerated piecrusts
- Stir together everything except the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Let mixture stand for 15 minutes, occasionally stirring. Drain the peaches but reserve 1 tablespoon of the juice. Whisk the cornstarch into juice; stir into the drained peaches.
- Cut the piecrusts into 4-inch circles. Put a Tbs. of the filling in the middle of the circles. Brush the edges of the dough with water and fold over the filling to make 8 half-moons. Crimp the using a fork to seal them; cut 3 slits in top of pies with a knife. Coat each of the pies with cooking spray.
- Place 3 pies at a time in your air fryers basket. Cook at 350°F until they are a golden brown for approximately 12 to 14 min. Repeat the process with the rest of the pies.
2. Crispy Low-Fat Fried Chicken
by Judith Hannemann of The Midnight Baker
- 1 chicken, cut and separated into parts for frying
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1 Tablespoon of hot sauce (optional)
- cooking oil for spraying
- Mix the hot sauce and the buttermilk.
- Place your cut up chicken in a big bowl and pour the buttermilk/hot sauce over it. Put in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Put your seasoned flour in a plastic bag. Drain the chicken and shake it in the plastic bag until it is well coated with the flour.
- Place the chicken in your air fryers basket and spray with cooking oil. Cook it at 380 degrees for about 30 minutes. Turn the chicken halfway through and spray the other side with cooking oil.
3. Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
by Janice Croze of Five Minutes For Mom
- 4 pieces of bread – sliced
- 2 Tbsp soft butter or margarine to butter the bread
- 2 gently beaten eggs
- ground cloves
- confectionary sugar or maple syrup as garnishes.
- Preheat your Airfryer to 350 degrees
- Beat the eggs and add a few pinches each of the salt and spices.
- Butter both sides of your sliced bread. Cut each slice into strips. Dip each of your bread strips into the egg mixture and place half of the batch into the Airfryer.
- Pause the Airfryer after two minutes and take out the pan. Spray the bread with cooking spray at this point. Then turn them over and spray the other side.
- Put the pan of bread strips back into the fryer and cook four more minutes. Check on the strips every three to five minutes to make sure they are browning but not burning.
- Once the egg is cooked, and the french toast looks golden brown, take it out of the Airfryer and serve. Repeat this entire process with the rest of your prepared batch
- Sprinkle with the confectionary sugar or serve with maple syrup.
4. Best Ever Air Fryer Fries
from Recipe This
- 4 Potatoes, medium to large.
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive or Canola Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel all of your potatoes and then fashion them into strips with a knife or tool made specifically for cutting french fries.
- Put them in the Air Fryer basket on 350 degrees and add the oil.
- Let cook for two minutes, then shake them in the basket.
- Cook 8 more minutes and shake them again.
- Cook the fries another 15 to 20 minutes until they start to get golden brown.
- Season your air-fried french fries with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
5. Air Fryer Zucchini-Parmesan Chips
By celebrity chef, Todd English, on Spa Week Daily
- 2 medium or three small zucchinis
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Slice each zucchini into thin rounds and toss the slices with the salt. Put in a strainer and let them drain for about a half hour.
- Rinse them with cold water to remove the salt. Lay the slices on a cloth or paper towel and pat them dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Dip each zucchini slice in the beaten egg, then cover each side with the breadcrumb mixture. Spray each side with the cooking spray.
- Put the slices in air fryer basket in one layer only. Cook them in batches at about 390 degrees for about 10 minutes or until they are crispy.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking.