This blog is sponsored by the Pastoral Institute.
The Talk: a Rite of Passage
By Monica Cobis
“What is sex?” My colleague’s nine year old daughter asked this nonchalantly as they were walking to the car.
Mom handled it well, but some parents get a bit unsettled by this question as they realize that timing for “the talk” is not always scheduled. Having “the talk” with our girls or boys is a rite of passage – for them and for us. Many of the parents I have surveyed never received the talk and thus are not quite sure how to broach the subject.
That is where Right from the Start can help.
We handle some of the concerns both dads, moms, and kids have asked us to handle, such as:
- How is a baby made?
- Why don’t boys have eggs?
- Why is my body doing this?
- Where can I go as a parent to ask questions or get resources?
- How do I handle the peer pressure my child receives at school?
- How do I explain what a nocturnal emission is?
- How do I handle my kid’s emotional turmoil during this time?
Let us tackle the talk so that you can enjoy this rite of passage with your child! Believe it or not, it’ll be fun!
You can register online at upcoming events at www.pastoralinstitute.org.