In honor of the 6th anniversary of our website, we thought we’d re-blog our very first post from 2008–with a few revisions!
Kids’ Birthday Party Checklist
Need a party planner for your child’s birthday? Here’s a handy birthday party checklist to help you throw a successful party for your child’s next celebration.
6 Weeks Before
- Discuss with your child what kind of party she wants. Decide on the party theme.
- Decide whom to invite.
- Before setting a date, check with essential guests to make sure they’re available.
- Book your chosen venue.
- Line up any entertainment you may want.
4 Weeks Before
- Ask for an updated class list from your child’s teacher
- Send invitations. Include information such as when the party will start and end and a date to RSVP by (at least two weeks before the big day).
- Shop for party goods, decorations, party favors, goody bags, and prizes for the games. Place any online orders now.
3 Weeks Before
- Plan your menu. Be sure to include enough food for the adults that will attend.
- Decide on activities and games to play. Plan more games than you expect to use in case you run out of activities before the party is over.
- Make a grocery list.
- Line up any extra help you may need. Tip: You need one adult for every 5 young children (5 years old and younger) and one adult for every 8 older kids.
1 Week Before
- If you’re having the party at home, clean the house thoroughly.
- For an outdoor party, do any major yard cleanup or planting.
- Follow up with any guests who have yet not RSVP’d.
- Order the cake and balloons.
- Plan out activities, and make sure you have all of your supplies.
3 Days Before
- Assemble the goody bags.
- Review party manners with your child. Practice welcoming guests and thanking them for presents.
- Go grocery shopping.
- Prepare any food you can ahead of time.
- Charge up your camera and check batteries.
1 Day Before
- For an outdoor party, mow the lawn and tidy the yard.
- Finish as much of the cooking as you can.
- Set the table and arrange additional seating.
- Child-proof the party area.
- Do a touch-up cleaning sweep through the house.
- If opening presents is on the agenda, practice polite “thank you’s” with your child.
- Pick up cake and balloons, if ordered.
- Take plenty of pictures and videos to commemorate this special day.
- Make a list of gifts and who gave them.
- Send everyone off with party favors.
After the Party
- Be sure to send out thank you cards within a timely manner.