Christmas Countdown: 25 Activities to occupy your kids during December.
Children always ask, “How many days are there until Christmas?” Waiting for Santa can feel like forever when you’re calendar-challenged. To help your little ones pass the days until Christmas, we have compiled a list of 25 kid-friendly activities that will help your little ones count down the days until Christmas.
Fill in the missing dates with any holiday event listed on our Holiday Events & Santa Sightings Directory.
- Decorate the tree with special ornaments.
- Make a Christmas ornament.
- Bake Christmas cookies.
- Deliver treats to family, friends, and neighbors.
- Drop off your letters to Santa – stamped and addressed to Santa at the North Pole – at Macy’s. Look for the red OFFICIAL Santa Mailbox.
- Make Christmas crafts. Dig out some red and green Tempura paint and a box of unprinted newspaper sheets, and help your little ones make homemade wrapping paper. Have each child personalize their artwork with handprints or footprints.
- Have your family’s picture taken with Santa Claus. For dates and locations, visit our Holiday Events Directory.
- Decorate a gingerbread house.
- Watch The Polar Express in 3D at the Giant Screen Theatre at the National Infantry Museum.
- Go to a Chrismas concert at the RiverCenter for Performing Arts or your local church.
- Have breakfast with Santa (and the Elves). For dates and locations, visit our Holiday Events Directory.
- Make some popcorn and declare a movie night! Watch your family’s favorite Christmas movie. Our favorites include The Polar Express, It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, and The Nativity Story.
- Drink a holiday beverage. One of my favorite drinks is a hot spiced apple cider. Simply fill your crockpot with apple cider and add some mulling spice. Let it simmer for several hours then enjoy!
- Load up the car and visit one of the many Chrismas Light Shows near Columbus.
- Watch a Christmas production at the Springer Opera House, CSU Riverside Theatre, or Family Theatre.
- Donate toys or canned goods to your local food pantry or food bank.
- Take a free Holiday Carriage Ride in Downtown LaGrange. The holiday schedule is every Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays from November 22 through December 22 (Weather permitting).
- Open a gift early.
- Watch a production of The Nutcracker Ballet. For performance dates and locations, visit our Holiday Events Directory.
- Read a Christmas book. Put all of your Christmas and winter books in a basket by your couch or display them on a table for browsing. Read one out loud as a family at bedtime.
- Doodle Christmas. Download one of these free Christmas coloring pages at Doodle Art Alley.
- Bundle up and go caroling in your neighborhood.
- Visit the Norad Tracks Santa Website (www.noradsanta.org) and track Santa Claus as he makes his Yuletide journey around the world. Live updates will keep your family informed about where Santa really is and if it’s time to get to bed. Don’t forget to leave out some milk and cookies!
- Read the Christmas story.
For an up-to-date list of family-friendly holiday events and activities, visit www.MuscogeeMoms.com.