Please confirm details with organizers BEFORE setting out. Due to changes in schedules and exhibits at locations, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the event information.
- This event has passed.
NIM Freedom Fest 2019
July 4, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT
Celebrate our nation at the National Infantry Museum on Thursday, July 4, 2019, during our sixth annual community-wide Independence Day celebration!
Freedom Fest will be held from 10a.m. to 4 p.m., and will be filled with music, kids’ activities, historical reenactments, food, and fun.
Admission to Freedom Fest is free. There will be nominal costs for the simulators, food and drink.
- Interactive demonstrations from the living historians at Historic Westville.
- Treadstone Climbing Gym is bringing a rock climbing wall suitable even for small children.
- The cannon live firings start at 10am. The National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus will set up a Civil War era campsite. Additional living historians will set up displays inside the museum to allow visitors to touch and learn about both weapons and household items used in our country’s early years.
- All day, kids will enjoy bounce houses, face and hair painting, balloon animals and old fashioned family games.
- Youngsters are invited to dress up their bicycles, tricycles, strollers and wagons – and themselves! – for the Muscogee Moms Pint-Sized Patriots Parade down Heritage Walk at noon. Register online now or onsite the day of the event at 10:30am at the courtyard entrance. Ages 12 and under.
At the end of the parade, eyes will turn to the skies as the Silver Wings parachute team jumps onto Inouye Field at 12:30pm.
The MCoE Band will perform at 1pm and 2pm just outside the museum’s rotunda. Large tents will provide seating and shelter from the sun.
The Giant Screen Theater will be the perfect place to cool off, with free kid movies and documentaries playing all day long.
Vendors will sell ice cream, barbecue plates, chicken sandwiches, funnel cakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, beer, frozen mocktails, and soft drinks. The Fife and Drum Restaurant and Bar, as well as the Rally Point Canteen concessions stand, will be open for diners who’d rather stay indoors.
AFTER FREEDOM FEST:
The museum’s activities will end at 4 p.m. Festival-goers will be encouraged to head to Uptown Columbus or Phenix City for a concert in the riverside amphitheater and fireworks at dark.
Security Check: Bags larger than 11” x 6” x 15” are not permitted inside the museum or on the museum campus. Bag checks and wand scans will be conducted to ensure guest safety. Smart bags are prohibited from the museum and the museum campus. Guns, knives and pepper spray are prohibited.
Pet Policy: Pets are not allowed in the museum or on the museum campus, including the stadium. Pets can not be left inside of vehicles on the premises. Please make arrangements for your pets prior to your visit. Certified Service Animals are allowed.
Acceptable Attire: The museum is a family venue and acceptable attire is required for entry. Visitors will not be allowed entry into the museum wearing clothing with profanity or words that disparage individuals or groups based on sex, race or national origin.