Motherhood: Enjoying the journey
Children are the most profound markers of time!
Today is my son’s 15th birthday. I remember the night before he was born, lying in bed and trying to picture my life as a mother. I knew it would be an adventure, but I couldn’t imagine just how life-changing the reality would be.
In many ways, motherhood is a journey similar to Bilbo Baggins’ adventures in The Hobbit.
- Sometimes you can see the path clearly, other times you’re walking in circles.
- Sometimes you’re feasting with elves, other times you’re battling trolls.
- Sometimes your friends are there to support you, other times you must go it alone.
- Sometimes the journey seems too hard and you want to turn back.
- Sometimes there is pain and sorrow, other times there is great joy and fulfillment.
Part of the reason why The Hobbit continues to enthrall me is that we all journey, as Bilbo did, and we all go through heroic quests, sometimes small and sometimes large. The adventure of motherhood goes on and on, lasting our entire lives.
And as Bilbo used to say: “You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Happy Mother’s Day. Enjoy the journey!