Top 10 Tips for Parents of Children with
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Guest post by Michelle DeRamus, Ph.D.
- Focus on your child’s strengths.
- Find ways to make life more predictable.
- Make sure your child knows how to ask for a break.
- Have a “calm down” plan.
- Understand that theory of mind is impaired. (Theory of mind is the ability to understand that other people have a different set of thoughts, beliefs, etc. than you do.)
- Consider whether your child’s challenging behavior could be related to symptoms of ASD.
- Consistency is key.
- Follow through.
- Help children generalize their skills.
- Take care of yourself.
Dr. Michelle DeRamus earned her Ph.D. in child psychology at the University of Alabama. She specializes in autism and works at Phenix City Children’s.